History of St. Ursula Brig

An Exceptional Feature

The founding of the St. Ursula Convent in Brig was not set as much by the Sisters but by the initiative of a politician.
Baron Jodok von Stockalper, who was a Renaissance ruler and overlord among the aristocracy of the Valais, brought Ursuline Sisters from Freiburg/Switzerland to Brig to educate the girls.

The Beginning

1st November 1661: The first four Ursulines arrive in Brig.
They live in the Stockalper Palace for about three months.
As early as 10 years after their arrival, the few Ursulines formed an independent Convent, no more bound to the community in Freiburg.

 more -->